Thursday, February 24, 2011

The Green New Testament?

One of the blessings of spending an “extra” year (a Lutheran year) of seminary at LSTC is being able to choose the classes I want to take without having to fill many specific requirements. For me, this means lots of biblical studies. I’ve also always wanted to take an ecologically related class about our call to care for creation. So this semester I’m taking “Future of Creation,” an ecologically-minded class that I also get to intersect with biblical studies. Not only is the class co-taught by New Testament professor Ray Pickett; it was also started a few years back by retired New Testament professor David Rhoads. And today I went to an “Environmental Emphasis” meeting with Barbara Rossing, whose class on the book of Revelation I am also taking this semester. How exciting that all these New Testament scholars are taking the lead in creation care!

For my main project in my Future of Creation class, I will be developing a bible study curriculum for use in congregations that will guide us into seeing how the biblical story leads us to care for creation. It may eventually be published on a website run by David Rhoads and others at LSTC, www.LutheransRestoringCreation.org. This website seeks to encourage the ELCA to care for creation in all expressions of its life and mission. If you haven’t already, check it out! There’s lots of great resources here, as well as its “sister” website, www.webofcreation.org. Great to be a part of a community fostering these conversations.


No comments:

Post a Comment