Sunday, October 31, 2010

Though I am small, my God, my all, you work great things in me.

My roommate and I just watched Fern Gully.  Once I got passed the epic cartoon mullets, circa 1992, I realized how terrifying that movie is.  Granted, it does all work out in the end, but the looming monster of steamy pollution sludge is scary and the humans cutting down the forest is scarier.
 
The main story line focuses on Crysta, reminding her that she and the rest of the fairies are what make the earth grow.  I can't help but to think of the Creation story, saying that humans are to have dominion over all the earth.  Fern Gully shows dominion by force, with Zack and the other humans cutting down the trees marked with a red X.  It also shows dominion by love and care as the fairies create new life and nourish the earth around them. 

I'm a sucker for the "Canticle of the Turning," which we sang last week in chapel.  My favorite line is, "Though I am small, my God, my all, you work great things in me."  Standing at 5'11", I'm not exactly short.  I am small though, like Crysta, trusting in God to work through me, teaching me how to care for the earth and all of God's creation.

Dear God,
Thank you for the trees.
Thank you for the soil.
Thank you for the plants.
Thank you for the animals.
Thank you for us humans.
Thank you for water, soil, wind, fire.
Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment