Tuesday, October 26, 2010

The Lark in my Heartbeat

This week I did two rather unrelated self-care activities. I went to a retreat about Benedictine spirituality and a Josh Ritter concert. On the retreat we talked about the importance of taking Sabbath time. One of the presenters shared one of her practices for introducing moments of Sabbath into her day. She has a CD of chants she plays in her office. When her favorite song comes on she stops what she is doing to devote her attention to listening to the song. For two minutes she takes time to breathe and re-center herself on God.

It seemed like a simple practice so I decided to give it a try. Only problem is I don’t have any chant music. Nor did I think I would like listening to a CD of chanting all the time. But I can listen to quite a bit of Josh Ritter. So I tried it using “Lark” off of Josh Ritter’s new CD So Runs the World Away. The chorus of the song goes like this:

I am assured, yes I am assured yes
I am assured that peace will come to me
A peace that can yes surpass the speed yes
Of my understanding and my need

The song helps me remember that in the midst of all the crazy I can find peace. The three minutes and five seconds of the song takes no time out of my day yet leaves me feeling refreshed, focused, and assured of God’s desire for peace in my life. Josh Ritter spirituality, somehow I think St Benedict would approve.

No comments:

Post a Comment