Saturday, January 8, 2011

Secular Music Gospel

As much as I love hymns and praise and worship songs, I take delight in finding the gospel in secular music, or at the very least, music not ever sung in church. For example, there's Katy Perry singing out about how there's a light in all of us. Amen, Katy. And then I got a new album last week, Mumford and Sons. They play that catchy "Little Lion Man" tune that you've been hearing on the radio (and if you haven't go youtube it right now!). Though the classify themselves as more spiritual than religious, their views come out in each song.

And as I listened to their song, "Roll Away Your Stone," the word "grace" caught my ear.

It seems that all my bridges have been burned,
But you say that’s exactly how this grace thing works.
It’s not the long walk home that will change this heart,
But the welcome I receive with the restart.


That's a sermon for me. Some spiritual food for my day. A tasty gospel snack. And it doesn't come dressed in an alb, preached from a pulpit or in a church. Perhaps God's still small voice is actually an indie rock and roll band from West London? Well, it is this week for me.

Their video for "The Cave" is below:

No comments:

Post a Comment