Thursday, November 22, 2012

Happy Turkey/Giving Thanks/Thanksgiving Day!


Well, it’s Thanksgiving Day and I’m wondering what to write about.  I suppose I could write about the intensely awesome ritual that is baking the caramel pecan rolls which I got to partake in this morning as we watched the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade.


Or maybe today I’ll write about what I am most grateful for as a seminary student coming home to a stress-filled household.  This semester is wrapping up at a quick pace.  Soon it will be finals week and all of our papers, projects, tests, quizzes, and translations will need to be finished.  The seminarian mindset at this point seems to be, “Oh no! The end is near! Run away!”  Then we go to whichever home we go to where the stress of Thanksgiving as a holiday is in full swing.  Food needs preparation, schedules need to work out, relatives and friends must be accounted for in setting up for the meal, and there is usually a good amount of deep anxiety surfacing as all of these elements come together.  

As my own family stresses about all of these things I hear my mom say to Dad:

“Chin up, baby, we’ve got each other.  We’ve got our family.”

And in an instant, Mom has just shown me what the most important thing in her life is and what she is grateful for. 

I know it’s a cheesy and overly repeated question, but it really makes sense to ask it on this day.  What are you thankful for?  There’s a reason why we think about it, because it’s in those places where we find God most active in our lives as we know it.

No comments:

Post a Comment