Monday, October 10, 2011

Take Back Chicago



Why Chicago? That is always a question when people talk to you about why you chose this seminary...the answer is one that I even ask myself in the dead of winter when I know we have a seminary in California...in Berkley! But days like this it is obvious. Chicago is going to have protesting all week in response to the banks and their actions over the last years. The nation seems to be truly aware of itself, its needs, and what it wants. There is a stir all over nation with protests and actions against banks. This is extremely apparent here in Hyde Park, being part of the south side of Chicago. Foreclosures are real and many people are struggling with job loss and it is apparent, not so much around us. Being in a bubble right next to University of Chicago, we have extra police and money exists around us, so that we do not always see it in our quick walks around. We are very safe and LSTC makes sure of that as an educational system. But, problems do exist, and I have been lucky enough to be in conversation with SOUL (Southsiders Organized for Unity and Liberation). They have kept me updated on what is going on in the area I live and opportunities to get involved. Opportunities to get involved! Protesting? I don't know if I would call it that, but rather an opportunity to stand with people who feel the need to share their opinion and I believe witness history. The posters I have seen say, "Take Back Chicago," an opportunity to take back the schools, jobs, and homes that have been lost and to improve Chicago as a whole. I agree with that, and so I hope this week I will have the opportunity to partake in history, learn about my city, and add experience to my education here at LSTC.

No comments:

Post a Comment