Friday, October 21, 2011

Christ Laughed

This evening several of my friends came over to watch the movie-cult-classic, Dogma. For those who are unfamiliar with the film, it is an extremely humorous look at some of the dogmatic ideas we have about our faith while still ending with the message that God loves and forgives, Christ is with us, and reconciliation is always possible. The movie also features Matt Damon pre-Jason Bourne flicks, which in and of itself is a sheer delight.

I don't know if it was because I was watching this movie with a bunch of seminarians, or if it was the fact that my friends get me enough that they don't complain when I hum along to the music track during segue scenes, but tonight was one of the most enjoyable experience I have had watching this film that I have owned for years.

I think a large part is that the older I get and the farther I get in ministry, the more I realize there are times when we can't take ourselves to seriously. This week has been serious enough - in my pastoral care class we talked about domestic and sexual violence, I read a blog post of a friend who was struggling with some moral passages from the Old Testament, another friend's wife had a very complicated (but successful, yeah!) birth delivery of their daughter. Those are the moments when it pays to be serious in our faith. But watching Alan Rickman and Chris Rock play an angel and an apostle are not one of those moments.

One of the great aspects of our God living the earth as human is that Christ was able to experience the full breadth of what it means to live. We often celebrate that Christ suffered, Christ died, but I think it's also important to remember that Christ laughed and that Christ had friends.

Living into our calling means embracing the opportunities when we can curl up on the couch, eating popcorn, and wondering whatever happened to Silent Bob movies. It truly is a beautiful gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment