Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Spring is Here!


Spring is here! How do I know? It’s not the plants; nothing is poking out under the foot and a half of snow on the ground. It’s not the weather report; more snow is forecast for tonight and again this weekend. It’s not the temperature; bone-chilling cold and damp. No, I know spring is here, because the ice cream place is open again.

Gannon’s Isle is the local ice cream place in south Syracuse, maybe even in all of Syracuse. There’s one up the street from my house, and fall evenings I used to head up there for a scoop of whatever their current seasonal flavor was. I was devastated one evening when I arrived to a “Closed for the Season” sign. I could not imagine such a thing. Since when does ice cream have a season! The main store near the church stayed open for another month or so, but eventually even it gave in to the realities of a Syracuse winter. So for three months I have been without ice cream. Oh sure, I could buy Dreyers or something from the grocery store, but it’s just not the same. Then recently the marquee announced the glorious news: “Opening in 14 days!” I patiently watched as the days ticked off, until last week when the marquee read: “Gannon’s Now Open!” Spring has come. Gannon’s knows it, even if the weatherman does not.

The office manager and I went out for ice cream yesterday to celebrate the arrival of spring. I had crème brulee, she had Oreo cheesecake. It was delicious. Here’s to you, Spring. Welcome back!

No comments:

Post a Comment