Saturday, March 12, 2011

I Will and I Ask God To Help Me

Internship can get a bit crazy. My internship especially gets crazy as I am split between two different ministries - one as parish pastor and one as chaplain to an elder care facility. My days are divided though tasks spill over from day to the next, especially as my project looms and Lent has begun.

I had a special treat Sunday when I got to attend a pastor's installation. Not only was it delightful because I was not leading the service, but getting to absorb all the good news through excellent lay reading, prophetic preaching by the bishop, and phenomenal music by their adult choir (including A Mighty Fortress with BELLS!!), but I was reminded just what exactly a pastor is called to do.

For those of you who get lost in papers, projects, and learning contracts.... I give you the words from the installation. I hope they set you free, too.



Will you preach and teach in accordance with the holy scriptures
and with the confessions of the Lutheran church?
Will you carry out this ministry in harmony with the constitutions
of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America?
Response:
I will, and I ask God to help me.


Will you be diligent in your study of the holy scriptures
and in your use of the means of grace?
Will you love, serve, and pray for God's people,
nourish them with the word and sacraments,
and lead them by your own example in faithful service and holy living?
Response:
I will, and I ask God to help me.


Will you give faithful witness in the world,
that God's love may be known in all that you do?
Response:
I will, and I ask God to help me.


Almighty God, who has given you the will to do these things,
graciously give you the strength and compassion to perform them.
The assembly responds:
Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment