Saturday, March 10, 2012

Feeding the Soul

To the Holy Spirit

O Thou, far off and here, whole and broken,
Who in necessity and in bounty wait,
Whose truth is light and dark, mute though spoken,
By Thy wide grace show me Thy narrow gate.

-Wendell Berry


It's all a process; a journey. Finding myself. Discovering who God has called me to be after (and at the same time) discovering who God made me to be. Perhaps they are the same. In high school, I began to write poetry. In college, I took courses on poetry and learned that it doesn't have to rhyme to be effective. I read more and  more. And then I decided I would leave it behind. Where would I use poetry in seminary??

And then I got to preaching class in my second year. I began to write sermons. Then the poetry flowed back into my life with knowing eyes and a small nod. It is the spiritual stuffage that keeps me going, that keeps me grounded, that feeds my world weary soul. It seems silly now to ever suspect poetry would not always be a part of my life as it is part of who I am.

God sees to the little things.

What feeds YOUR soul?

No comments:

Post a Comment