Sunday, November 6, 2011

Drumming Rhythms

Two days ago, I was persuaded by three of my other classmates to accompany them to an African Dance class offered at a community center nearby. They wanted me to observe the drumming to see if we could potentially recreate some of that experience at LSTC. I was happy to have the opportunity to get up and go someplace new away from the temptation of my computer and with my assignments inching ever closer to their deadlines (although I did manage to read some Church History).
I learned some new patterns and characteristics of drumming from the drummers, but among other observations, I saw that they did not go out of their way to force their hand upon the drum, but that the sound originated from the weight and angle of their hand. Put another way, they played the drumming by not hitting the drum. As a result, their sound was natural, their rhythm was steady, and they enticed the dancers and observers such as myself into a form of participation with their drumming style.
I believe worship is the same way. We can’t force our rhythm within worshipping otherwise we lose it. We just have to let the natural weight and angle of our experience produce the best sound possible. I have not been good at attending worships before LSTC unless I was participating in them. In college, I can count on two hands the number of times I attended church on Sunday when I didn’t have to be there for some reason. I don’t know if it’s the effect of a worship class or the fact that one of the main focuses of this place is to prepare leaders in worship but something has changed. I do not feel forced to hit the worship drum at LSTC, I feel compelled to participate in the worship beat.
Until next Friday!
P.S. I am sorry I haven't posted sooner, I am currently recovering from appendicitis under the loving care of my family and friends :)

No comments:

Post a Comment