Friday, November 11, 2011

First Impressions Matter

So, CPE application time is coming up. During this long process of writing essays about my past or my family or my religious background, I came across the question “what are your initial impressions about Clinical Pastoral Education?” I guess I haven’t really thought about that before. Ideally, I think it would be awesome if my experience turned out to be a lot like the TV show Scrubs. Everyone would have quirks and dynamic relationships that everyone learned something from in every episode. That would be cool. I’m sure I will learn a lot, but I don’t think it will be like Scrubs.

CPE sounds like it will be an intensive experience. Initially, I am very intimidated by it and nervous about how well I will do. The thing about those types of immersion experiences is not necessarily how well I will do, but how will I learn from it? How will I understand how I interact with other peoples’ faith lives in critical and even noncritical situations? I have spent much time in the classroom which has provided me with a great number of resources and understandings about God, Jesus, the Holy Spirit, and how we participate and interact within our perceptions of these subjects both presently and throughout history. Writing a paper about a subject related to this and talking to someone about it is a little, if not very, different.

So I suppose my initial impression of CPE is that I will be challenged, pushed, taught, and exposed to a variety of experiences that will help me understand their point in life and mine. New experiences lie CPE can be intimidating and rewarding at the same time and I stand to gain much from this time in my seminary life. Now to make that statement into a paragraph or two…and maybe throw in a reference to the life lessons on Scrubs for a bonus!

No comments:

Post a Comment