Friday, September 9, 2011

Responsibility

Responsibility is that big scary word that means you are a grown up. For ministry, it is that word that carries a holy weight - being a leader of people and walker with people as pastor.

And then internship ends and a final year of school begins. The responsibility is there but it is oh so different. At least, the differences are standing out much more than the similarities.

For one, I get to sit down in chapel and I only have to arrive a minute or two before worship begins. What a treat!!! (Please note that it was such an itch to help that I have already been hospitality for one Eucharist service and am currently helping to plan another in which I will assist with communion!) So my responsibility is merely to worship. To lend my voice to the chorus of voices surrounding me. Hallelujah!

And then there's my housing situation. Instead of an old artist's house, filled to the brim with things I never asked to be responsible for, I get to have my little room in my LSTC apartment with two good friends. We share food, share the tasks of cleaning and dish doing, of hanging up things on the walls, and purchasing items for the apartment. It is bliss to not be wholly responsible for my home.

Oh, and then there are the classes. That odd responsibility that is not to teach but to learn. To be actively engaged, prepared, and invested in the topic at hand. To notice the Holy Spirit present in the various assignments and the many words from our professors. To honor the holy and the hard work all at the same time.

It's good to be home. But odd, so very odd.

No comments:

Post a Comment