Wednesday, September 15, 2010

You are the legacy


These words held such power as Dr. Ralph Klein addressed the LSTC congregational community in his sermon today. The Ralph W. and Marilyn R. Klein Chair of Old Testament was established this year, announcing Dr. Esther Menn as the first seat holder in said chair.

While he preached to all of us, he specifically addressed his five charming grandsons when he used the words, “You are the legacy.” The tears welled in my eyes as I heard him tell them to speak to the future Klein Chair professor, fifty years from now, and tell him or her about Nana and Poppa.

I was so moved by watching him share this moment, which recognized his esteemed scholarship and generosity, with his five young boys. Part of me wished that I was one of his grandchildren, being a part of that legacy. I’m not though. I am, however, part of the team that is called to minister to his legacy.


I may never have one of the Klein children in Sunday School or sitting in a pew in my parish, but I pray that I will be a mentor for other children, inspiring them to find God in the world. We are called to empower and encourage the future generations of our church. I pray that God blesses Dr. Klein’s legacy and teaches me how to better serve God’s children.

--Meredith Harber

Postscript: Listen to the podcast of Ralph Klein's sermon.

Meredith is a junior (first year) M.Div. student from Marion Center, Pennsylvania. She was raised ELCA-Lutheran and she’s here to prove that there ARE Lutherans outside of the Midwest! After spending a year in the West Bank, Palestine, she came to LSTC with a strong pull towards the interfaith emphasis. She’s still thinking about it, but she is open to where God is calling her. She does know that she is excited and energized by the LSTC community. She is exactly where she needs to be right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment