Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Blessings of New Students--Guest Blogger of the Week

Whether the last time you were in a classroom was in the past three months or the past three decades, the first day of seminary can be a bit, well, daunting. Although all the new students had spent the previous week forming relationships and building a new community, I’ll admit I was still a little nervous for my 8:00 a.m. Church History class.

By the time chapel rolled around I was starting to feel better. As the bells rang to begin the morning worship, I felt a very welcome sense of peace fill me. I relaxed, took a deep breath, and let the familiarity of liturgy wash over me. I was surrounded by a wonderful new community who had come together to celebrate and rejoice as we began our new academic year. In the middle of the service the presiding and assisting ministers asked each of the new students to gather around the baptismal font.

Reminding us that in all things we are called by God, and that through all things we should seek to glorify God, the 2010 entering class was blessed before the assembly of returning students, faculty, staff, spouses, partners, and children. We are all children of God, and to be reminded of that as we begin our new academic endeavors is, I believe, the most important lesson we will learn in our time at LSTC.

--Jenna Pulkowski


Jenna Pulkowski is a Junior MDiv student originally from Roscoe, IL. After graduating from Luther College in 2009 with a BA in English (what do you do with a BA in English???) she moved to Denver, CO to do a year of service with the Urban Servant Corps. She likes (really, really, REALLY likes) coffee, mountains, fall weather, volleyball, and Chicago. If you ever want to talk theology, coffee, camping, traveling, or pretty much anything else she’d love to have a chat with you!

No comments:

Post a Comment