Saturday, September 25, 2010

Be still and know that I am God.

I was driving home from a quick shopping trip today and as I was going under the Metra stop on 53rd Street , I suddenly heard music. I’ll admit that I was jamming along to Top 40 Hits with the sun roof open, but this was different music. It was haunting violin/cello/string ensemble music. I wish I could tell you who was playing it or what the title of the piece was, but I can’t. I can, however, tell you that I sat there, immobilized by these sounds, while the other drivers around me had their windows up and were simply waiting for the light to change.

I felt like I won this little jackpot. I happened upon this gorgeous music that I shouldn’t have been able to hear. As cheesy as it sounds, it reminded me to stop and listen for music. I have definitely been feeling the hustle and bustle of life at LSTC and I sometimes forget to stop and LISTEN. Listen to God. Listen to the breeze. Listen to laughter. Listen to music. Listen.

It really makes me think about the big word that we keep throwing around: discernment. Yes, I discerned to get here, but I’m still discerning. Today’s discernment was the gentle reminder from my Creator that I need to be listening to whatever joyful sound begins to echo above my head.

God's peace,
Meredith

No comments:

Post a Comment