Friday, May 11, 2012

This is what I did when classes were finished...



Saturday May 5th was an important day.  “What happened?” you may be asking.  Well I’ll tell you.  There was an event on 55th street whose concept blew my mind:  FREE COMIC BOOK DAY!

Yes, my girlfriend and I went to free comic book day.  I had been planning to do this since we visited First Aid Comics for the first time.  As I understood it, any person who walked in received 5 free comic books and then you could buy whatever else.  I recruited my girlfriend so we could pool the different comics we chose.  When we got there, the place was crowded with a variety of people buying all sorts of things in addition to the line for free comics.  We walked away with Superman: Family Adventures, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, 2 X-Men comics, the Avengers, 2 Superman Comics, Peanuts, Serenity, and a comic called The Maxx

On our way home we flipped through a few of our prizes to check out some pictures and text.  We had quite a variety!  Some were very simply written and drawn.  Others had faded artwork and were littered with text bubbles in every panel.  Some had exaggerated features of the human body (especially feet).  Others had attempted a more realistic portrayal.

Now, our intent in getting these comics was actually not to keep them around for scholarly reading.  We wanted to do something "artsy" with them.  Upon realizing how different each comic was from another, the idea of creating a collage or something of the like seemed to get more difficult to accomplish.  Isn’t this the perfect analogy for humanity and that loveable “C” word (community)?  How are all of these different pieces of artwork going to come together?  I’ll have to post an end result of our project and pose some more reflection on the subject.

Until Next Friday!

P.S. I am open to suggestions on how to approach this idea, considering the vast differences.  Is there a theme I should look for?  Perhaps an interactive sequence of events?

No comments:

Post a Comment