Saturday, November 6, 2010

Things That Go Bump In the Night

I've spent the last week doing devotionals, and writing sermons for All Saints Day. Naturally, I'm reflecting on the lives of those that have gone before me. Somewhat in line with reflecting on the dead is reflecting on the spirits that reside in our world still.

In the Lutheran world, we talk only of the Holy Spirit and even then, very little. We could take a few pointers from our pentecostal brothers and sisters on how to let the spirit move us.

But what I've been wondering on are the dark forces that reside with the light one. Good and evil. To be honest, it has creeped me out. Now, whatever you believe personally, I have to tell you that I cannot ignore it. I've had a sense that evil was working in the world but it never bothered me much. It was there. So was the good. Now I'm working on placing this deeper realization into my theology. What comes to mind so far?

1.) God made all things. All spirits are a part of God's creation.
2.) Jesus was merciful to the legion of demons.
3.) We are called to care for all creation.
4.) The light shines in the darkness and the darkness cannot overcome it.

So if your thoughts are straying to spiritual warfare like mine, know that you are not alone. Not just in your thoughts or quest to make sense of it all, but as one who shines in the darkness. Together we are the body of Christ, standing as one, and conquering all things in His name.

From ghoulies and ghosties
And long-leggedy beasties
And things that go bump in the night,
Good Lord, deliver us!
(-traditional Scottish prayer)

No comments:

Post a Comment