Saturday, December 4, 2010

Happy Holidays?

A local church is planning secular themed decor for their sanctuary: "How the Grinch Stole Christmas." Some of my clergy colleagues are offended by this but I simply find it intriguing. I like the idea of a church embracing the secular and (hopefully) using it to proclaim Christ in a new way.

I haven't always found joy in the secular side of the season. But over the years, I've found cause for celebrating. For instance, this year I will be missing driving up and down Lake Shore Drive and seeing the buildings on the lake front decorated with twinkle lights and wreaths and whatever else they deem worthy. And I grew up visiting Opryland Hotel that was decorated to the teeth with festiveness - including parachuting giraffes which I never quite understood.

Frankly, it's beautiful. I love Christmas trees. I love getting a cup of coffee (or hot cocoa) and settling onto the couch with the only light in the room the glow of the Christmas tree. What's the point of being contentious? If I get upset every time I hear "Frosty the Snowman" because it isn't proclaiming Christ, I'm wasting the joy and hope and peace of the season.

So I choose to embrace it. After all, I think during this season we need all the joy we can get.

No comments:

Post a Comment