Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Birthday Party - Internship Style

Yesterday was my birthday. To celebrate, a friend threw me a Skype birthday party. Coordinating it was a hoot, at one point we had one person in every time zone in the continental United States. It was possibly one of the best birthday parties I have ever had. Sitting alone on my couch, in a city that still feels a little foreign even after eleven months; suddenly my living room was filled with many of the people I love the most. It was not as good as having my friends with me in the flesh, but given the circumstances it was really the next best thing.

I am so grateful to be doing internship in a time where Skype exists. There is just something so wonderful about seeing someone’s face when you speak with them. Email is great, phone calls are great, my classmates’ dedication to cards and letters reminds me of the gift of the post office, but there’s just something about seeing someone’s face. The twinkle in their eyes, the lift of their brow. The way the laughter builds when several of us are together. Thanks friends, for a great Skype birthday. I wouldn’t have rather celebrated any other way.

No comments:

Post a Comment