Sunday, January 27, 2013

Already?

Can it truly be, that first semester is done?  That Christmas Break is done and J-Term is done?  I am now enjoying my one week at home with my husband, to catch up on non-student life.  J-term consisted of rural immersion to Nebraska, and while I grew up in rural Wisconsin, I very much appreciated this experience.  Since I grew up with little faith formation, I did not experience life in that capacity.  Also, a pre-teen wonders why people are so cruel as she is being bullied by her female classmates and has little faith for such hypocrisy as these gals attended weekly catechism with her in earlier years.  I found that I experienced life differently because I no longer believe, 'the grass is always greener on the other side'. One of my last nights in Nebraska, Cathy asked, "Do you think you'll serve in a rural parish?" I answered honestly, "I don't know.  I have 3 1/2 years of education to complete, and I don't know where Scott and I will be at that time."  I can now add to that response, " But I do know that the rural immersion trip was a great experience, and provided me plenty of fodder for discernment."

One of the great things of the J-term trip was getting to know my classmates better.  Even though I am on campus part time, I find I have a hard time forming deep relationships with classmates because our social lives are so very different.  When we were on the trip, we spent an inordinate amount of time together, almost to the point where I at least, needed some ME time.  But through these experiences, climbing into the tractors, sharing a room, and sharing a 35 minute van ride as we traveled from one farm to another, we were allowed time for sharing and most importantly laughing!

J-Term participants and our Host Pat Ebmeier who drove us around Bertrand NE.




No comments:

Post a Comment