Wednesday, December 12, 2012

A joke about John the Baptist

Panorama of Beer and Carols by Nadia Bolz-Weber


Okay, so I stole this joke, but it's funny.


"On Jordan's bank the Baptists cry, if I were Baptist so would I.
They drink no beer, they have no fun,
I'm glad I am a Lutheran!"

This past Friday House hosted an event we like to call Beer and Carols. There are basically 2 rules for the evening.
1. drink beer (or soda)
2. sing carols

I've been asked by a couple people about our theology behind this event and each time I answer "we don't have one...we just like to sing and drink." Which is entirely true. We do it because we enjoy it and because it's a good way to show the greater community that we are a little bit different than your mother's Lutheran church.

I think that sometimes we get so caught up as seminarians about theologizing everything we do in the church that we can forget what it is like to just have fun.  So, this Advent season do something crazy.  Drink beer and sing Christmas carols...don't over think it, and don't feel bad about singing Christmas songs before Christmas.  I promise you'll feel good about your decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment